Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

ra(i)n

Did it anyways. Ran in the rain like a crazy person. Am soaked.

And it was glorious. First time running outside since mid-November. I hadn't been through the neighborhood since people put Christmas lights up. That was a nice little perk.


And I totally realized tonight that one major reason I love running outside is because it is the most efficient way to take in as much of the neighborhood as possible. Sounds sort of wonky, I know, but it's this added facet of the workout that makes it so much more enjoyable, so much more than just exercise; it's like an experience. I see knick-knacks on fireplace mantles through living room windows and hop over children's chalk drawings on sidewalks. (There's one apartment in particular, on Alder Street, where I can see an easel and a half-finished oil painting in a little library/den. I look in every time to see if whoever's painting it has done any more.) I feel more connected to this cute little chunk of Pittsburgh than I do when I'm holed up in a gym. It's all part of this holistic thing I'm after in life, I realize. To squeeze all I can out of everything.

Running also disentangles my mind, from which comes all this philosophical hoo-ha. While I'm out there my thoughts settle, and then I come inside and cool down and everything rushes out in an unabated torrent. Another part I like.

2 comments:

  1. :) Congrats on running despite the rain! I sometimes find running in the rain (usually a light mist rather than a full soaker) refreshing. I know the feeling, there's a connection you feel to the neighborhood where you pound the pavement. :) Enjoy a nice warm shower and some nice warm soup, you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You're much less lazy than I am. I could go running today as I have had most of the afternoon to do it, but I have not. Too lazy.

    That, and I jsut got my hair cut today as well. :)

    ReplyDelete